There’s something I can no long deny … I am officially the mother of a tween! While she isn’t middle school this year because of how our district is set up, she hit 6th grade and she is 11. She turned 11 in March, but I think that part of me was like, “No way! It didn’t happen yet!!” However, over the summer she has stepped up a lot with helping around the house, so when she asked to help cook a family dinner, who was I to say no?? Since she wanted to take the lead, I wanted to make sure it was fairly easy. Plus we got to talk about a lot of kitchen basics to help her learn as well. We agreed on an easy sausage rice skillet dinner. I mean how much easier than four ingredients can we get??
We went to Walmart to pick up everything we needed. You can’t beat one-stop shopping, especially when you have kids! We picked up two bags of Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice Long Grain and Wild to use in the dish. I loved that there is a $.75 Ibotta offer right now. You can see more → here to save even more money! Kylie was so excited to see we could microwave the rice — we have had a couple of burned rice incidents in my house before!!
As we headed home, ironically, the Ibotta offer lead to a budget conversation with her too. She ended up flipping through the app saying how neat it was to get money for buying things we already needed. She was a little mad I wouldn’t cash out for her to spend the money, though!
Once we were home, she started cleaning up the kitchen with me and we got to work. I loved being able to talk about her school day with her while we were in the kitchen. I am sure other moms of multiple kids and tweens know that it’s not often you get one-on-one or a time when they want to talk.
Easy Sausage Rice Skillet Dinner Ingredients:
- 2 pouches of Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice Long Grain
- 1 red pepper
- ½ yellow onion
- 2 sausage ropes
- Olive oil
Easy Sausage Rice Skillet Dinner Directions:
- Start out by prepping your vegetables. I took the time to walk Kylie through some knife safety and how to prepare the vegetables. We ended up with not a ton of red pepper since she had issues with the knife, but she was quite proud of prepping the vegetables.
- Chop your sausage into slices.
- Put a smidge of olive oil in your pan and turn it on medium-low heat.
- Place your sausage, onion, and peppers in the pan and let them start to saute. Stir often.
- Tear a 2-inch slit in your Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice Long Grain and microwave it for 90 seconds standing up. Repeat with the second bag.
- Pour the rice into the pan and continue to let it cook together. Stir often.
- Serve and enjoy your family dinner!!!
Want to help your kids’ cafeteria? Head on over -> here to enter to win for your school for a $30,000 make over!! Plus be sure to enter below to win $15,00 for your family, there will be 5 families that win!
What would you and your tween make with Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice?
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- Activities for Under $10 That Kids Will Love To Do! - February 20, 2017
- Easy Family Movie Night - February 17, 2017
- Easy Valentines Day Popcorn! - February 13, 2017