Disclaimer I was given a Zester Grater for reviewing purposes. No monetary compensation was given and all opinions are mine and truthful to the experiences in my kitchen. The links in this post are affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my link
I was excited at the chance to review -> Zester Grater. We have been trying to expand our baking and cooking skills this year and this was one kitchen equipment I didn’t have. I do have a huge normal cheese grater but to do lemon zest its Recently I have discovered how much I like lemon desserts now (See my WW 1 Point Lemon Muffins) These Iced Lemon Butter Cookies are amazing! The dough was interesting to make and the first cookie recipe I haven’t just thrown in my Kitchen aid mixer but actually followed the delicate steps. I found this recipe on A Taste of Meaghans Kitchen, and didn’t do much to adapt it cause I have never made a cookie like this and am super pleased with how it turned out. Make sure you pay attention to freezer in the directions I did the fridge.
The Zester Grater came fast from Amazon with my prime two day shipping. It had very minimal packaging around it leaving hardly any trash. Since my kids cook with me on a daily basis safety is a huge key in our kitchen. I love that this comes with a plastic cover to hep protect our fingers when reaching into the drawer and also to help keep the grater sharp. The handle is easy to hold in your hands, I even had my daughter hold the handle while I zested the lemon. She thought it was neat how it made a “shredded cheese” of the lemon. Make sure you stop once you hit the white of the lemon and also that you wash the lemon well before zesting.
The only thing I would change about these cookies is putting the dough in the freezer not the fridge (Special moment reading the directions) and also I would do the cinnamon roll icing (Find recipe -> here)
Iced Lemon Butter Cookies Ingredients :
Ingredients For The Cookies:
- 1 cup & 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Lemon Zest, finely grated
- 7 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, cut into 1/4″ cubes
- 1 Egg Yolk
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Lemon Juice, fresh
Iced Lemon Butter Cookies Directions :
- Combine the flour, sugar, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Add add in the chilled butter and cut it into the flour with a pastry cutter, it will look like coarse crumbs. Then add in the egg yolk with a fork till it’s fairly well blended. Because my dough was so dry and would not knead together I had to had 4 tablespoons of ice water to the dough before I could form a ball and have it come together well. I did this a half table spoon at a time.
- Cut the dough ball into half and roll each half into a log of about 1 inch diameter and then wrap them in plastic wrap. Place in the freezer (NOT THE FRIDGE) for about 30 minutes.
- Once chilling is done pre heat oven to 350 and remove logs and slice into 1/4 inch rounds with a serrated knife. Place on baking sheet with paper (I skipped the paper they turned out fine) for about 10-12 minutes. Allow them to cool before glazing.
- To make the icing we squeezed lemon juice out of hte lemons we grated. Mix 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice with 1 cup of powdered sugar, till well mixed. I used a spoon to drizzle over the cookies or you can use a piping bag